Except from a letter to John Adams

Dated December 23rd, 1782
from Abigail Adams



There are few occurrences in this northern climate, at this season of the year, to divert or entertain you; and, in the domestic way, should I draw you the picture of my heart, it would be what I hope you still would love, though it contained nothing new. The early possession you obtained there, and the absolute power you have ever maintained over it, leave not the smallest space unoccupied. I look back to the early days of our acquaintance and friendship, as to the days of love and innocence, and, with an indescribable pleasure, I have seen near a score of years roll over our heads, with an affection heightened and improved by time; nor have the dreary years of absence in the smallest degree effaced from my mind the image of the dear, untitled man to whom I gave my heart.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The previous one made me think "barf". This one makes me write it!

Is this the first time you've been in love? You're acting like a 12 year old!
architart said…
I thought it balanced the previous entry nicely. I guess I was wrong.

Can you not imagine Mr. Hutchison's young bride penning such a lovely letter? She is but four years older than my 12 year old self.

And yes, I have been in love before. The first time was to a rather rotund boy who I used to chase all over the neighborhood because I just knew that he would be cuddlier than my stuffed monkey if I could only catch him.