summer fare

When I moved to Texas to live with my aunt and uncle I discovered a new meaning to summertime.  Previously summer consisted of seemingly endless travelling between Asia and the States to visit family.  Then in high school I took summer school and worked at a grocery store, which left little leisure time.  Just the way my parents liked it.  My aunt and uncle were the cool, hip parents compared to my conservative, religious upbringing.  They included me in happy hour when they opened their bar at 5pm.  Summer was a time for concerts, hill country barbecues, water sports and fun. 

I took the love of summer to New York when I moved for grad school.  SB and I used to host a regular dinner.  We would fire up the grill and invite our friends and neighbors over.  We also participated in frequent picnics.  One of my favorite picnic foods was smoked trout soI was excited this summer when I saw a smoked trout in the display case at the new gourmet store in Happy Valley.  Though not quite the quality of the homemade trout that was caught locally and smoked in a neighbor's back yard, it brought back memories of the summertime picnics in the woods. 

What are your summer foods?

Comments

Joyce Lau said…
When we lived in Connecticut, fresh strawberries sprinkled with a little sugar. You'd pay a local farmer a set price, and he'd give you a basket for you to pick as many as you wanted out of his berry patch.

Also fresh corn, boiled on the cob, with butter and salt. The corn was from the fields the next town over.

No HK special summer foods, though. I think we're just too far away from local production here to feel like anything is really special.
architart said…
I remember seeing my Chinese roommate load her grocery cart full of corn in Ithaca. Now I understand why; the local corn here seems to be what I would call feed corn. It makes sense that she went a bit wild when she tasted sweet corn. I wonder why no one here grows sweet corn.

Have you been to any eco farms in the New Territories? I have heard of them but haven't been out there.