the view from up here


We had dinner at Tosca in the Ritz Carlton last night.  It was good.  SB and I discussed the meal on the ride home.  He has never consumed a meal at a fancy restaurant that has been outstanding.  This ranked better than most for him but not exquisite.  There was a lot of salt that kept the dishes from being thoroughly enjoyed.

When I went to live with my aunt and uncle they introduced me to the wonderful world of culinary transcendence.  I have eaten meals, both fancy and plain, that have been spectacular.  I didn't realize how lucky I was until recently.  My uncle had a highly refined sense of taste.  His cooking skill only extended as far as the grill but he could taste anything and tell you what you should add to make the dish perfect.  He knew if the dish needed marjoram, thyme, sage, any number of spices that I couldn't distinguish.  The pleasure that I received on the occasions when he declared a dish to be perfect rivaled the glory of winning a race at school.

He and my aunt celebrated food.  They seemed to personally know all the chefs at their favorite restaurants.  Ernesto of the eponymous restaurant would often cook off menu for them.  The chef at the Plaza Club knew that he loved the green chili soup even in the summertime.  When the young chef at Gloria passed away suddenly my aunt and uncle were upset enough to call me at Cornell.  Yes, I have eaten very well.

I have resolved to find places in Hong Kong where I can share ecstatic gastronomic experiences with SB.  I want to leave a dinner with him raving.  Not raving mad, just raving.

Comments