what happens next?

We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain inalienable rights, that among them are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
- Thomas Jefferson, Declaration of Independence

 In the United States public opinion is split over whether gay people should be granted the same rights as heterosexuals.  Polls show that a majority of the younger generation of the United States believe in equal rights, including the right to enter civil marriages.  Our household reflects American society.  It bothers me.  I care very strongly and SB doesn't at all.  And nothing I can do or say makes him care.  I guess I should be happy that his opinion isn't opposite to mine.  But I am not happy.

I point out to him that until 1967 interracial marriages were against the law.  When the supreme court ruled that states laws banning interracial marriages were illegal 73% of Americans were in agreement with the state laws banning such marriages.  Seven years after the supreme court allowed interracial marriages to occur my parents were married.  My grandpa was delighted with my mother; my grandmother was not.  Most of the family understood both opinions although it's the younger generation who can call it what is was: bigotry.

After gay rights I wonder what is the next frontier?

Comments