counting the days

Now that a couple of weeks have gone by the novelty of sleeping the whole night through without waking up to box SB and indignantly squeak at him for squishing me has worn off.  It's not that I don't mind having a good night's rest; I happen to look very refreshed in the morning and my body doesn't ache from being flattened throughout the night.  It just happens to be that I miss him.  A lot.  I have gone from the first few days of "yippee, I have the whole bed to myself" to "hmm, it's awfully quiet" to "boohoo, I have no one to talk to."

I miss the continuous banter.  I miss the nightly story telling and laughter.  And dammit, I even miss the morning ritual of forcing Mr. Grouchypants out of bed.

He says that he misses me as well.  His voice sounds so sweet that I think he means it.  But I happen to know that he is in his favorite place in the world, listening to the soulful calls of the loon that nests in the lake outside his window and sleeping with his sister's dog who happens to be his favorite dog in the world.  I can't compete with that.  I do not curl up on his feet during the cold Adirondack nights.  And if I did manage to curl up at his feet it wouldn't have the same effect here where it is one degree cooler than Hades.  He would probably kick me.

Comments