Dear GOP

I’m not sure how it happened but the changes have been occurring so rapidly that even this loyal fiscal conservative has been shocked out of complacency. There was a time when we wouldn’t leave a child behind but that time has long since passed, replaced by a tilt so far to the right that I suspect the entire party has suffered a catastrophic stroke to the left side of the brain. How else can I explain the paranoia, memory loss, incoherence and moody outbursts? How am I to take you seriously when you extol the virtues of Reagan, an adherent of bipartisan compromise, and then hold the country hostage to your demands?

I have also shifted from concern to alarm at your declining level of intelligence. I don’t need to digress into explaining the worthiness of science and those who undertake scientific inquiry; I can only state as strongly as possible that if the majority of scientists believe in global warming then I will take their word for it. If not their word then I can always look at the research and draw the same conclusions. It is almost amusing that Rick Perry disavows global warming when Texas is under the worst drought in recorded history, which will likely cost over $4 billion USD in losses. And for the record, evolution is a theory, meaning that it is supported through repeated testing. Evolution is also supported by evidence of natural selection, adaptation, heredity and Mendel’s laws of inheritance. Yes, laws as in indisputably observed and expressing a fundamental scientific principle. Creationism is not a theory as it is unproven and yet very clever because its supposed proof rests on the belief in a miracle: a event of divine intervention, statistically unlikely and by definition an interruption of the laws of nature.

But the most serious cause for concern is your disregard for the principles of our country. All men are created equal. All men have a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Call it American exceptionalism, Christian reconstructionism, whatever –the fact remains that singling out a group of people based on religion or sexual preference and denying them their rights is discriminatory and contrary to the tenets of our great constitution. If there were no other impediment in place I still could not in good conscience support a candidate who denies the civil liberties of another American. This is my generation’s Mason-Dixon line and I know where my feet are planted. Until my party replaces its addled, ailing leadership I cannot in good conscience support it. So F you very much GOP for breaking my heart.

Comments