horrible

Like many other media sources this morning's Standard reported the airplane crash that killed most of the members of KHL's Lokomotiv Yaroslavl.  They also couldn't resist including a picture of a body being hauled out of the wreckage, unlike other media organizations.  Scanning through the rag at my bus stop, I was unprepared to come across the image but was immediately disgusted.  I also felt horror because the body had more than a passing resemblance to SB's physique.  I would have been devastated to see my beloved's body plastered across a newspaper. 

I will agree that images of death can be important to convey the gravity of a situation.  I can even agree that they are truthful images that are part of a record.  But I do not agree with the tabloid-like exploitation of such images for shock and titillation value.  I will say no thank you next time the paper is offered to me at my bus stop.

Comments