maybe a cure for cancer

According to the Forrester Research (via CNET) the average American spends 12 hours per week on the Internet.  As technology savvy as I am, that kid writing script to change to color of her avatar's hair would roll her eyes if she saw how long it takes me to add a feature to my architectural 3D model.  I may be well read in Jean Baudrillard and Umberto Eco but these kids are living in hyperreality.  But I do wish that they would get more exercise because borgs don't yet exist and Rocky Horror ain't gonna help you there.

So here is a headline that got my attention: Gamers Unlock Protein Mystery That Baffled AIDS Researchers For Years.  The article by Leslie Horn for PC Magazine reveals that the crystal structure for a key protein in the development of AIDS, which had stumped scientists for years, was solved in just three weeks by online gamers using an online game called Foldit.  The spatial analysis game has also aided in Cancer and Alzheimer’s research. I am optimistic and hopeful that the younger generation's ability to think critically in a virtual environment could lead to the breakthroughs that we have been struggling for.

Comments