the Philistine

When I was in university I fell in awe with a visiting lecturer.  He was well liked and moderately famous in philosophy/critical theory circles. Back then I didn't know about the campsite rule; it applies to May-December romances and states that they are acceptable if at the end of the affair, the elder partner should leave the younger in the same or better shape than they found them.

Needless to say, I was not left in better shape although being more cynical and guarded isn't always a bad thing.  I ended contact when I read his feature piece in one of my favorite architecture periodicals and discovered several uncanny similarities to my own ideas.  His response was that ideas are not copyrighted and I learned to guard my thoughts overnight.

I just saw his latest publication.  It was a gorgeously written piece and I wondered whose young brain he had drained for information this time.  I wondered if some other young woman was waking up to the dawning realization that she had been sucked dry.  Maybe she would think it was an honor to be so used by the master; that's what he implied to me.

Comments