honey, I love you

I was very disappointed to discover that Turkish baklava is not made with honey but with sugar syrup.  My resident hunney bear wouldn't even touch the dessert after I made the pronouncement that there was no honey to be found in any of the layers of phyllo.  SB likes his honey.  As I type he is sitting on the couch, chewing a piece of honey comb that we picked up at City Super.

For his previous birthdays I have presented him with all sorts of exotic flavors that differ from the acacia and clover honeys that are popular where he grew up or the wildflower and orange blossom honeys that are popular where I grew up.  He likes the manuka for its earthiness though the kamahi is a close second in terms of strength of flavor.  In the US, buckwheat honey has a similar taste.  My  personal favorite might be sourwood honey although I haven't tried any of the southwestern cactus honeys.

On the hike today he picked up another honey jar from a vender at Yim Tim Tsai, one of the outlying islands in Sai Kung.  The vender's uncle in China collected the honey.  What is the correct term for gathering honey?  Harvest?  Anyway, the honey is very light and milky in color.  At first glance I thought it was creamed honey but it wasn't.  The honey is actually very liquid with some froth and crystals inside.  You can taste the granules.  It also has a very flowery bouquet.  I'm not sure that it is up to SB's spoon in your mouth standards because of the granules but it is tasty and I am enjoying the novelty of such an obviously homemade product.  Perhaps I will make a honey butter to serve with corn muffins.


Comments

Gweipo said…
We were pleased and surprised to find that the village Chardonne, just down from our Swiss apartment has a honey farm tour of the area, there are signs at all the various farms along the mountain where to go and taste / buy the various things. First time I've seen that.
architart said…
I wonder what kinds of flowers are used by the bees in Chardonne.