it's going to be a long day

Did you know that your employer can deduct your mandatory long term pay from his mandatory MPF contributions when you leave the firm?  I didn't, so I was surprised by my statement which showed that my MPF was depleted by 50%.  So pretty much, half of my severance package was a fake.  This also means that I won't be repeating any of the complimentary statements that I had made when I left the firm to others.  In fact, I will probably be emailing this story to Cornell as a cautionary tale to those who are interested in working for this Cornell alumnus in Hong Kong, or any firm in HK for that matter.  One more lesson learned.  I will keep reminding myself how favorable the taxes are here.

While I was on the phone with my MPF holder, trying to sort out what happened to my account, SB woke up and decided that he was hungry so naturally he began chirping at me.  "Please hold on," I told the account representative, and then, "Go find you own %$#@ing breakfast!" to SB.  He left in a huff.  And made a point only purchase his own %$#@ing breakfast.  So now I am making my own %$#@ing breakfast while he is watching hockey on television.  And it's raining.  And we have two friends coming over to couch surf for the weekend.  It's going to be a long day.

Comments