Marzipan Cake


This recipe is simple; I mix everything in a food processor, although you can mix it by hand if you don't have one.  I even baked it in my toaster oven and it was fine because it's a very forgiving cake.  The result is a dense, almond-y delight.  It is one of SB's favorites.
  • 235 ml unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
  • 235 ml sour cream, at room temperature (1 cup)
  • 5 ml of baking soda (1 teaspoon)
  • 479 ml of sifted all-purpose flour (2 cups)
  • 2.5 ml of salt (1/2 teaspoon)
  • 118 ml sugar (1/2 cup)
  • 250 g marzipan cut into pieces (8.8 oz)
  • 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
  • Optional: icing sugar or whipped cream topping. I previously made this in my 9" cake pan and the top was relatively flat so I shifted icing sugar over the top but I made these cakes in small cake pans and the tops rose a bit like muffins so I covered them with whipped cream.  The lightness of the whipped cream was a great contrast to the dense marzipan.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (350 F). Butter a 9-inch, nonstick spring-form pan (I used four small cake pans).

Start by adding the butter and sugar to the processor and blend for five minutes or until the butter is creamed.  Add in the marzipan, a little at a time until it is roughly incorporated.  Now add the eggs and sour cream and mix until it is all blended evenly.  Finally, add the flour and baking soda, a bit at a time so you don't end up with a big flour cloud like I did because I was in a hurry.  Total food processor time was under ten minutes for me.

The batter should be thick.  Pour it into the pan(s) and spread to create an even surface.


Bake the cake for about 1 hour or until the cake returns to shape on top when pressed and shrinks a bit from the sides.  Cool the cake pan on a baking rack (if you have one).

When you are ready to serve it, sift icing sugar over the top or add whipped cream.




Comments