Lawmakers furious over US Olympic uniforms made in China


Sent by SB to our government representative:

Dear Senator Gillibrand,

I was dismayed to read your comments regarding the Olympic uniforms place of manufacture.  This should be a non-issue.  

Sewn textiles are made in China because the US is not competitive in this area.  You state in your letter that "There is no compelling reason why all of the uniforms cannot be made here on U.S. soil at the same price, at better quality."  As US Senator you should understand enough basic level economics to know this is not true.   Economics and 10 years of textile and manufacturing experience both in NYC and now in Hong Kong back this up.

The workers in the US have moved and must continue to move higher up the value chain.  We as Americans are wasting our efforts to preserve these low level jobs.  The US textile industry, from weaving of fabrics to sewing the final product, is not competitive.  The boat with these jobs sailed overseas long ago.  Don't fight this loosing battle.  

As one of my NY Senators I implore you to be productive with our finite fiscal resources; fight to put money where it will do the most good, including retraining people to things other than sew.  Even China is trying to move higher up the value chain and away from these sewing jobs because it makes strategic sense for their nation.

I hope I can count on you push for the policies that will ensure our country's long term economic strength. 

Best regards,



From: Senator Kirsten Gillibrand <Senator@gillibrand.senate.gov>
Date: Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Subject: Thank You for Contacting Me!


Thank you for contacting my office. Your thoughts and concerns are very important to me and you will receive a more detailed response shortly. I sincerely appreciate your patience in waiting for this response, as our mail volume is often significant.

If this is a request for assistance with a federal agency or an immigration case, please contact my casework staff directly by phone at (212) 688 - 6262.

Thank you again for contacting my office.

Sincerely,

Kirsten E. Gillibrand
United States Senator


I wonder if she will write back.

Comments