spectaculERR

To err is human, to really foul things up requires a computer.
                                -attributed to either William E. Vaughan or Paul Ehrlich

San Diego Bay's pyrotechnics show to celebrate Independence Day was either Big Bay Boom or Big Bay Bust, depending on who you ask, or more specifically, whether one regards certain parts of the show to be more important than others.  Personally, I am all about the finale.  My childhood celebration included listening to the Boston Pops which ended on a fireworks show to the finale of Tchaikovsky's The Year 1812, Festival Overture in E flat major, Op. 49.  I don't remember what was played before the finale- most likely a lot of good stuff that was under appreciated by an eight year old who was staying up well past her bedtime for the fireworks show.  I remember only that one year John Williams played the Star Wars theme.  That was almost as good as the finale.  Almost.

So if you would ask me, the fifteen seconds of mistimed fireworks that preceded even the opening score of music was a spectacular success.  Many would not agree, but I wasn't the one waiting all night for the show.





Comments