to all the little people who helped me get here...

Having won the distinction of an Ulaca Award (Best PR for Cornell University Disguised as a Blog) and having further ignored my doubts about the message behind the award, I submit my gracious thank you speech.

I would like to thank the Hong Kong chapter of my university on the hill because they are the most active of all the university's alumni associations and they put on some really wonderful events.

I would like to thank all of those obscenely rich citizens of HK who have built private playrooms and clubs that no mere mortal can set foot in...unless members of aforementioned alumni association can arrange a private tour or meal for the rest of us riff raff.

I would like to thank the way of life here that has me spending so much time in the office that the last thing I want to talk about is anything job related, thus freeing up time to wax poetic about...other things.

And finally, I would also like to point out that I am an alumnae of Texas A&M University as well, and joined their alumni association but it has sadly been radio silent all these years.  And we know that Texans aren't usually known for their reticence.  If there are any Aggies out there who would like to watch football, barbecue, and drink beer with me, I would love to hear from you.  With any luck I will be winning my third (!) Ulaca Award next year in the "Good Lord, can't she stop talking about Texas" category.

So to start off on my quest for that third award...

About a month ago I applied online for my Texas absentee ballot and this week I finally received it, or so I thought.  Actually what I received was another absentee ballot, this time the "official" application as opposed to my apparent application for an application.  In the month that it took the Office of the Secretary of State to send this application to me, they somehow did not find it necessary to include the return address.  While searching online for the correct address to apply to, I shared my frustration with several friends.  Being the sympathetic sort that one would expect out of my friends, they immediately responded with the following:

  • A fellow Texan informed me that any Texan who leaves the lone star state could be unfortunately influenced by liberal, hippie foreigners and therefore measures should be put in place to impede contaminated Texans from voting.  
  • My friend from Oregon, who had forgotten to register to vote, went online and registered, voted, and received a receipt of his vote in less time than it took me to affix a stamp on my second application and walk to the post office.  He then proceeded to rub it in.  
  • My friend from Washington informed me that registered voters form her state automatically were mailed ballots.  
  • SB suddenly realized that he wasn't registered to vote and applied online for the New York ballot.  He will probably receive his ballot before I do.  I just hope that I receive it with enough time to telegraph my choices back to them. 

Comments