Hypnerotomachia Hoplophilia

When I lived in Italy I once engaged in a lively debate over a court ruling that pinching a woman's posterior was not illegal or even unacceptable as long as the [male] pincher did so in the spur of the moment due to being overcome by "appreciation" for the woman or her appendages.  It was a surreal moment when I realized that the debaters in the butt pinching camp were serious.  Years later I read about the antics of Silvio Berlusconi and thought to myself, how does this country manage to survive when run by buffoons?

And then I read the statement released by the NRA's Wayne LaPierre calling for armed guards in every school while blaming rap music, movies and video games for the perpetuation of gun violence.  I am still waiting for the subsequent press release revealing that he lost his carefully prepared speech notes, accidentally consumed some magic mushrooms in his breakfast omelette and then suffered a stroke right before giving his statement.

By the way, right before LaPierre unleashed his findings on the causes of homicide using firearms, Slate's Chris Kirk published an interactive chart indicating every school shooting since 1980. You can read about it here:




Comments