free market

Hong Kong is a city of consumers; the masses of shoppers have propelled Causeway Bay to the top of the world for retail rental prices, hopping over Fifth Avenue and Avenue des Champs-Elysees.  As a Hong Kong dweller, I can find almost everything I want if I know where to look.  Hong Kong retailers don't utilize the internet as much as I would like but I have a network of friends who are savvy shoppers.

Cousin Shoils is the purveyor of all information related to restaurants and fine foods.  Neighbor Daphne is always looking for the elusive best/cheapest combinations and can readily tell you where she thinks you should go for dumplings, baked goods, and barbecue.  One of my colleagues will hunt down the best deals for electronics and give you the list, including brown market and goods of dubious origin.  I have never gone underground but he did a great job negotiating for my laptop at the Wanchai Computer Centre.  Even I have found a use: I am great for remembering unusual items that I have come across.  I felt pride in being able to repay Cousin Shoils' resourcefulness when I told her where to buy dog bone shaped cookie cutters and I can tell you where to find size XXXL neon orange safety suits.

If you have any doubts about my utility, just take a look at what people are buying and selling.  When SB and I placed our dining table on sale on AsiaXpat we saw some really interesting ads.  I've added a highlight reel of my favorites below:

Arts and Crafts: I applaud the amateur designers such as this one, who is selling an iPhone cover in ...some kind of a theme.

Horse Riding Simulator: I don't know whose home has room for this but at $0, it's the right price and what a conversation piece it would be!

Flight Simulator: This looks like fun!

Designer Packaging:  Yes, you read that correctly.  This person is selling empty boxes, but they are top designer brand empty boxes.

Used Makeup: I wouldn't even give away my used makeup but maybe buyers of used makeup don't have my hygiene concerns.

Giant Beer Bong: for you and your five closest friends.  What it was doing in the sporting goods listing is beyond me.

Comments