in the garden

SB and I were having a familiar discussion of preferred seasons.  He's all about a winter wonderland while at this point in my life I enjoy autumn best.  I grew up too close to the equator to experience the beauty of leaves changing until I moved to New York.  My first autumn up there was spectacular.  Each day brought another color in the landscape until finally the first snowflake fell.  It will be a long time before that novelty wears out.

All the talk about seasons got me thinking about The Secret Garden.  The Broadway musical, based on the book, remains in my top ten.  I used to own the cassette recording from the original cast but it disappeared a long time ago, not that I could even play it anymore.  I can't remember the last time I saw a cassette tape player.  For years I was unable to find the CD and most internet searches pointed to Zbigniew Preisner's score for the film version, which was not related to the musical.

Then last night I did another search and found my beloved soundtrack from two sources.  You can download or purchase the CD at Amazon.com and a Youtube musical aficionado has uploaded the songs.  I have been happily singing along all evening while watching ice hockey on the television. I'm not sure that the two go together as well as playing Vivaldi while admiring Botticelli at the Uffizi Gallery but it makes me happy.




Comments