love is easy

Thursday is St. Valentine's Day, commonly known as the commercial holiday when you can pay lots of money for cards containing sentimental swill and heart shaped boxes of waxy chocolate.  For years the 14th of February was a dreaded event because I was either single and received unwanted (and insincere) sympathy from my coupled friends or I was in a relationship and felt enormous pressure to be lovey even though we hadn't progressed to that stage.  These days I am nauseatingly infatuated with SB so I can appreciate having a day to remind ourselves of our deep wuv for one another.  But we'll skip the box of chocolate this year, as we have every year since that incident when he brought me lowfat chocolate.  He doesn't handle pressure well and he's already sweating over a gift to give me since he missed my birthday again.

I made a few suggestions to him and decided to share them on the blog for any other readers who don't have time (or complexity management skills) to go all out for your loved one but would like to make a gesture.  SB loves music so he will be creating a playlist of songs that evoke happy memories.  So far he played Foo Fighters' February Stars and told me about his warm memories of driving in the snow with ex-girlfriend F.  F is my favorite of the exes but I was kinda hoping that he would have songs related to me.  My playlist will include Death Cab for Cutie's Soul Meets Body and Muse's Uprising.  Even thought there aren't any memories related to it, I will also chuck in Jeff Healey Band's Angel Eyes because I loved it as a hormonal pre-teen and dammit, I want it to be "our song."

SB will also be cooking something.  Something uncomplicated.  If you have an oven or even a toaster oven that can hold a baking dish, the recipe for Chicken Marbella is pretty easy.  All you need to do is pre-marinate the ingredients.

Even easier is making Panna Cotta for dessert.  I really like the recipe by David Lebovitz.  You can use heart shaped silicone molds and pour red berry sauce on top to bump up the romance level.  Whatever you do, please read the whole recipe before embarking on your culinary journey to make sure that you have allocated enough time.

Happy St. Valentine's Day!

Comments