bad romance

Over a year ago my neighbor lent me her copy of 50 Shades of Grey.  After assuring her that I would get around to reading it I was informed that she was moving from the country so I was out of time.  So I read the story that had so many women raving about the domineering, single minded, devoid of humor Christian Grey.  Yeah, it didn't do it for me.

My girlfriends recommended a few of their favorite romance novels and I went into them with some trepidation but to my surprise I enjoyed Girl Gone and so I moved on to the next one, which was part of a series focusing on the lives of members of a fictional football team.  I think that the books were recommended because I am a bit sports-mad.  So I started reading the series but by book two I was a bit weirded out by how the author justified some rather unethical behavior of the female characters because they did it for love and babies.  And then one of her characters went on to crawl into bed with her unconscious object of affection and proceeded to have sex with him, which of course resulted in her becoming pregnant and him falling in love with her and marrying her.  Excuse me but did you just feature non-consensual sex in your romance?!  If the characters were reversed and the male character crawled into bed with an unconscious woman and had his way with her I don't think that anyone would be calling this romantic.  I then went online to read reviews of the book and it was rated four out of five stars on Amazon.  You can bet that I am adding my own review and I will be lambasting the author as well as all the reviewers that loved the book.

Comments