making it count

My company is matching whatever individual donations we give to typhoon victims.  We are donating to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.  As far as I know, there is no limit.  A friend's company was doing the same thing but with a limit so once the company had reached the matching limit, he started asking around for who else out there had a donation matching policy.  It's something that I wouldn't have thought of but due to his cleverness, his team has significantly increased the amount of giving by spreading the money.

While I am disappointed to hear about corruption and unfairness already affecting the aid process, I cannot let cynicism prevent me from reaching out.  By choosing a well known, international organization I am expecting that they will have experience navigating through the red tape and corruption to get necessities to those who need help.

As a Hong Kong resident I am fully aware that the Philippines' location means that it bears the brunt of a lot of storms that are heading this way.  If not for their position, it could have been us, and our outlying islands could have been ravaged.  I experienced a couple of hurricanes when I lived in Florida and it was enough to convince me to move away.  I loved the beaches but I couldn't afford to rebuild when mother nature swept my home into the ocean. I don't think that there is anywhere in several pacific nations that you can move and know that you are fully safe.

Comments