Sunday, November 17, 2013

making it count

My company is matching whatever individual donations we give to typhoon victims.  We are donating to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.  As far as I know, there is no limit.  A friend's company was doing the same thing but with a limit so once the company had reached the matching limit, he started asking around for who else out there had a donation matching policy.  It's something that I wouldn't have thought of but due to his cleverness, his team has significantly increased the amount of giving by spreading the money.

While I am disappointed to hear about corruption and unfairness already affecting the aid process, I cannot let cynicism prevent me from reaching out.  By choosing a well known, international organization I am expecting that they will have experience navigating through the red tape and corruption to get necessities to those who need help.

As a Hong Kong resident I am fully aware that the Philippines' location means that it bears the brunt of a lot of storms that are heading this way.  If not for their position, it could have been us, and our outlying islands could have been ravaged.  I experienced a couple of hurricanes when I lived in Florida and it was enough to convince me to move away.  I loved the beaches but I couldn't afford to rebuild when mother nature swept my home into the ocean. I don't think that there is anywhere in several pacific nations that you can move and know that you are fully safe.

No comments: