a good time was had by one

I was supposed to play in a boxing day lacrosse match but my Christmas day sniffles became something more overnight and I found myself huddled under the covers in a ball of misery. SB tried to cheer me up but by the afternoon I was ready to shove his head through his guitar.

Finally I caught him looking out the window at the women who were gathering for the game and came up with a plan. "There may not be enough people if I withdraw," I told him, "I think you should go to replace me."

"Are you sure?" he asked dubiously, "there aren't any other guys."  I assured him that it was fine and pushed him out of the door. I may have thrown the deadbolt for good measure. Then I laid back down and soaked up the blessed sound of silence.

Five minutes later, the phone rang. "Are you sure it's alright for me to play?" he asked, "because I told them that you said it was okay and they are looking at me weirdly."

"They're just shy," I responded and hung up on him.

SB woke me a couple hours later to tell me how much fun he had. "Once I dodged the first defender, I just started running and no one could keep up!" He also scored a bunch of goals until it occurred to him that maybe he should pass the ball to the women who were yelling at him. He may have run a few of the smaller players out of bounds but it was hard to tell since he was a foot taller and couldn't see.

He couldn't wait to play with the girls again. He liked using my stick because even though it doesn't have a pocket like a men's stick so he couldn't wind up, the curve at the head allowed him to really rip off a painfully hard shot. I'm sure that the goalie loved that. In fact, no one has contacted meyet  to let me know when the next match will be...

Comments