burned out

The problem with being on multiple project teams is that you will work 14 hour days during the weeks before Chinese New Year because every single client wants all sorts of stuff before then. It's not like anyone will be sitting in their office over the holidays, reviewing the drawing sets, but it's typical.  I am toast.

I did take Saturday night off to attend my first Burns night. It was a lot of fun.  I had haggis for the first time and liked it.  It tasted a lot like the black pudding that gets served for brunch in some of the British styled pubs, at least in my opinion.

I made a soup with potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, and salmon. I made it up but I used a bunch of stuff that seemed Scottish. It turned out to be a hit. I cooked everything but the salmon and then blended it together before adding chunks of fish, a drizzle of cream, and a splash of pastis at the end. Okay, pastis isn't quite Scottish but it adds something wonderful to fish soups. I also made some soda bread. I'm not sure what soda bread is supposed to taste like but it was tasty, whatever it was. The Scottish host seemed impressed.

At the dinner, we all were given readings that we were to attempt in a Scottish accent. It was hard enough trying to pronounce the words.  I tried to channel Comfort and Joy but I fear that I ended up with Pirates of the Caribbean.

I've got more cooking to be done for the holidays. First there is a CNY barbecue and then I am making various eats for a Superbowl party.  Oh yeah, and my birthday usually falls right on that weekend as well and I have somehow agreed to host my own party.  Well, a sucker is born every minute.

Right now, I have a pizza baking in the oven (I'm trying out a new recipe for Chicago deep dish), I have pre-marinated everything that can be prepared ahead of time, and I am sooo looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow.

Comments