everybody panic!!!

Today I woke up to the news that my passwords and the sensitive information stored behind them could be floating all over the internet thanks to the Heartbleed Bug. The New York Times is a good source to find out about this serious security flaw. As I was linking the pages, I thought to myself, these sites could be portals for someone to spy on me for all I know.  Society of the Spectacle strike again!

SB had a more real almost disaster yesterday when he came very, very close to being hit by a minivan while walking the dogs. A woman turned into the driveway that he was halfway through walking across and he had to jump out of the way, dragging the dogs off their feet. When the driver didn't even stop but proceeded to pull up to the gas station, he decided to have a conversation with her.

SB: You need to look before you turn; you almost ran me over
her: I did look, I saw you.
SB: If you saw me then why did you still turn and almost run me over? The only reason you didn't run me over is because I stopped and got out of the way.
her: I stopped too
SB: No you didn't, you drove right by me.
her: I turned on my turn signal (grabs turn signal stalk for emphasis)
SB: I don't care. That doesn't mean that you can just turn because you used your turn signal.
her: There was traffic behind me. I couldn't stop
SB: Yes you can. It's not the end of the world if you stop, they can wait.
her: I am sorry

SB told me that she was lacking in any sincerity and only apologized because she had run out of idiotic, illogical excuses for almost hitting a pedestrian.  Because how else do you explain running over a man and his dogs so that you don't have to slow down and inconvenience the traffic behind you? SB only resisted swearing at her because there were two children in the car listening to their mom justify driving her two ton vehicle into pedestrians.

This woman isn't the only person who doesn't seem to understand common safety. Like people who walk at the pace of sloths but stampede when exiting buses for fear of someone gaining some sort of advantage by exiting first, I have observed many drivers cruising slowly down the road only to swing wildly into parking garages in front of oncoming traffic, heedless of anyone on the sidewalk. I've also had a handful of taxi drivers pull their vehicles in front of me when I am trying to cross the street, though I think that they do it deliberately as an aggressive move rather than because they are oblivious morons. I still think about that time that my father ripped the wipers off a taxi that had pulled up too close to me when I was a child, and I wonder how long it will take before I show my heredity by doing the same. The dogs may have two new fetch toys before the end of the month.

Comments