sweet, sweet sugar

I am on day two of a low sugar, low carb experiment. My sister, who will give birth shortly, has cut down on her sugar intake. She's not really at risk for gestational diabetes but thought that she was getting out of control on her sugar intake. She isn't really craving sour or spicy foods like other pregnant women but she was going wild on candy and baked goods, and told me that sugar cravings affect the brain similarly to how drugs affect a brain. More to the point, I believe, is that her boyfriend has no impulse control around sweets and was polishing off the rest of the bag of cookies every time that she had one. So now she's pretty much deprived of sugar because he can't be trusted around it.

The reason that I am  now depriving myself of most carbs and sugars is that I am testing myself to see if I am a sugar addict. I know that SB is a carb addict and he similarly polishes off bags of cookies but he has a freak metabolism so he's allowed to indulge his addiction. I usually do not prefer pasta and bread over a nice, delicious, lamb chop but lately I had noticed a sharp increase in sweet indulgences, coinciding with when Francesca told me of the existence of Haagen Dazs salted caramel ice cream. And then there was that bag of laundry that clearly was left in the dryer for too long because all of the bottoms fit a bit too snugly.

In just two days I have come to a couple of realizations. First, I am craving sugar and carbs, although I am not sure if this is because of withdrawal of because I know that I can't have it so I want it. Second, I have noticed that my diet had been getting more and more pasta/bread centric because I was at a loss of what to make for dinner if it didn't include a massive helping of carbs. In the end I had chicken with veggies while SB had the same with a big side of pasta.  I stared at him the whole time, much like how the dogs stared at me.

Comments