ice cream dreams

When I was a kid, I looked forward to Sundays after church because my parents would relax their ban on all things fun sweet foods and treat the family. We either would walk from St. Joseph's to an ice cream vendor by the park, or over to the midlevels (at least I think it was there) to a small, French pastry shop for apple turnovers. Not eclairs, because...I don't know why. Probably because they were more expensive. My parents were very frugal, which is why they can now afford to spend their retirement on constant vacations.

The local ice cream shops typically carried only four flavors: vanilla, chocolate, mint chocolate chip and ube. At the time I always, always, always chose mint chocolate chip. I tried ube once and didn't like it though it was a very popular flavor. I tried to relive my youth after a recent hike and could not find either the mint chocolate chip or the ube flavors in any of the ice cream bins at the grocery store. There are all sorts of exotic flavors but not the former staples. 

Anyone else remember the ube and mint chocolate chip days? Or better yet, does anyone know where I can get some?

image courtesy of foodspotting

Comments