too big to fathom

It was a surreal feeling, reading the first news story last night. Sadly, it was not the first time that I had this feeling. When the first story broke on my news page, my immediate reaction was to think (hope) that it was a sick joke. Then the feeling of dread sunk in, followed by horror.

Fifteen years ago I watched a series of practically incomprehensible events unfold. First the shock of a plane flying into the World Trade Center. Then the compounded shock of a second plane flying into the second tower, followed immediately by a dawning horror that encompassed multiple thoughts rushing into my head: this can't be an accident; what about all of those people; who is doing this; this is not real; this is real; oh my god.

Last night the fact that it was another Malaysian Airlines flight, after the mysterious disappearance of another flight only month before, made it all surreal. Who would think that a commercial, passenger plane could possibly be mistaken for a military carrier?  This whole situation seems beyond belief. My heart goes out to everyone who has been affected by this awful event. Some very good people who were doing much good for mankind perished along with many young people whose potential will never be realized. It is mind numbing.

Comments