Monday, December 22, 2014

change in situation

SB called me from where he was hiking with the pups to tell me that Tippytoes and Elsie had spotted a cat and took off after it. Elsie eventually came back but Tippy continued to fly down the stairs. After securing Elsie, SB ran down the equivalent of six flights of stairs, heart pounding. Somewhere down below he heard tires screeching and horns honking. He stopped running and phoned me. At this point either it was too late or if it wasn't, he didn't want to do anything to cause Tippy to react if she had somehow managed to cross the busy road. 

I was already in hell as I had somehow managed to end up in the middle of a packed shopping mall in Kowloon Tong. Then this horrible news. I hyperventilated while SB crept down the remaining steps to the road. Then SB hung up on me. I stood in the middle of the holiday shoppers and tried not to cry.

SB sent me a message a few very long minutes later. Tippy was waiting for him at the bottom of the steps. He called her and she came to him very slowly. She was wheezing. He checked her all over but found no sign of injury. She was just panting that way because she was exhausted and possibly panicked having lost track of where SB was as well as whatever had happened down below in the road. He wanted to strangle her for scaring him but he couldn't even punish her for running off because she had come to him when he called her and he didn't want to send mixed messages. He decided that the dominant emotion was relief that he would be returning home with two dogs. 

As soon as I finished phoning him to shriek at him because...well, there was no reason to shriek but I had to so I did. Anyway, once that was over, I returned home where I found Tippy asleep on SB and Elsie curled up by his side and snoring. I woke Tippy up to tell her how happy I was that she was still alive. Then I cuddled everyone and vowed that we would never ever leave the safety of our home ever again. Ever. I told SB to buy those doggy wee pads because the furbabies are never doing anything mildly unsafe such as walking outdoors again. I forgot the vow later that night when we took them for their evening wrestle with Buddy and then again when I took them on the morning walk with Raisin and Billy but I reminded SB as I was leaving for work that the furbabies can't leave the flat anymore. Ever.

No comments: