dodging the bullet


Brent Rose posted a review of the bulletproof coffee craze that I would recommend anyone to read before deciding to embark on this latest diet craze. You can find it here: http://gizmodo.com/bulletproof-coffee-debunking-the-hot-buttered-hype-1681321467

I wish that I had found this type of a review six months ago when I thought, hey, why not, but then I wouldn't have this story to share. Six months ago everyone who wrote about bulletproof coffee was raving about it so how was I to know how it would end?

From the beginning I was a sceptic, but I am a big believer in the power of a placebo so I decided that if I achieved the promised results it wouldn't matter to me if this was due to the cumulative effects of the ingredients or due to the placebo effect. There is no conclusive proof that ice provides any restorativve properties to tissue and muscles but I believe that it does and feel much better when I apply ice to sore ankles and knees.

I have a couple of very fit friends who are also intelligent and they had embarked down the rabbithole of paleo/caveman/body hacking with positive experiences. They agreed to the claims that the combination of coffee, MCT oil and Kerrygold grass fed butter would boost mental performance and facilitate faster weight loss.

So here's where they lost me: how was drinking coffee laden with butter and oil going to make me lose weight? I am familiar with how the Atkins diet works and but the Atkins doesn't even ask dieters to drink down hundreds of calories in fat. Bulletproof claims that the MCT oil, due to its organic composition, will promote weight loss. If I were to compare my glass of MCT oil with someone who was drinking the same amount in peanut oil, I may burn the calories faster, but if I didn't drink a glass of oil in the morning, I wouldn't need to worry about burning hundreds of calories of oil.

But the claims of better mental performance had me interested so on a fateful Monday morning I 
purchased a cup of coffee from the organic coffee roaster near my office and then poured it into my shaker along with one tablespoon of MCT oil and one tablespoon of free range butter and shook it up until it looked like a milkshake. I would like to note that the recipe that I was given calls for two tablespoons of each but at the risk of foreshadowing, may I share with you that I am so glad that I didn't do that.

It didn't taste bad at all, but it wasn't delicious to me either. My friends had claimed that it was like a milkshake but I can't agree. Anyway, that wasn't really the problem. The problem began approximately an hour later when my stomach began to cramp and make small gurgles. These were followed by more ominous rumblings which compelled me to make a hasty trip to the bathroom. I took the rest of the day off.

As far as weight loss, I may have lost weight that day because I didn't really have an appetite. I'm not sure about the mental boost since most of my mental powers were diverted to employing my sympathetic nervous system's flight syndrome, my body having given up the fight. I packed up bag and shut down my computer in record time. The taxi ride home was completed in acute stress response, followed by extreme relief that I somehow didn't have any meetings scheduled for the day, a rarity. Taking into account how much worse the day could have gone, I dodged a bullet on that buttery coffee decision.

Comments