catch me if you can

For the past week I had been having increasingly heated discussions with a project manager regarding a design change that he brought about against my advice which backfired on him. He asked me to make some more changes to fix his errors, which I strongly opposed but my boss agreed on. Then he discovered that his initial change and subsequent fix were both unfeasible and submitted another batch of corrections that made even less sense. When I said no to incorporating the changes, he claimed that all of this mess was due to my incompetence during the first set of changes, because my drawings showed items that were not practical or even build-able. I reminded him that he had rammed these changes through against my objections and I only changed the drawings after he agreed with my boss that he would take responsibility for them. His reply was that unless I could find proof of this, I was to carry out a large amount of abortive work because I would be found at fault. He knew full well that this is his error but he was counting on the fact that I wouldn't be able to produce documentation of the conversation between himself and my boss, who left the firm and everyone knows that the old boss spitefully and illegally wiped his office computer's hard drive.

Well, apparently this lovely specimen of humanity (the project manager, not the boss although the boss is not far behind) had not paid attention to the multiple stories of people getting busted for various crimes because completely erasing your hard drive is not easy. It's better to just remove it and burn it (criminals take note). I got a hold of my ex-boss's old computer and spent four hours of my own time last night recovering the partitions. I would have performed this task even if it had taken a month, inspired as I was by anger at the project manager. This morning I triumphantly forwarded the recovered emails with the PM's assertion that he was going to force through his idiotic design change for his own idiotic reasons, which I followed up with a "gentle reminder that trust once lost is difficult to restore." Yeah, f*ck you, project manager.

Comments