hailing the king

Being  ignorant to local politics, as well and having returned from holiday last night, I was not aware that the “King of New Territories” Lau Wong-fat had passed. I found out after Googling whose funeral was today. My body was still in American time so I woke up early this morning and took a leisurely tram ride to the office in Quarry Bay. I was engrossed in my news reader, finding out about the antics of a certain Cheetos hued leader, when I was jolted into awareness by a strong perfume of lilies. I looked up to discover that we were passing the Hong Kong Funeral Home, which was surrounded to capacity with funeral wreaths. There were so many wreaths that they spilled into a park across the street. Down the road I would see workers from the flower shops approaching, laden with even more wreaths. If you were planning to take note of who paid their tributes, you would be making a long list.

Comments